Friday, April 13, 2007

Slang & Phrasal Verbs

I know some of you mentioned this past week that you couldn't find the links to the slang/idioms websites that I'd sent you by e-mail, so I wanted to post them here for you:

Urban Dictionary
This one has a lot of very recent slang. In fact, much of it is so new that I've never even heard it before. It might be a good idea to google a word before using it so that you can see if it's common and how it's actually used.

Slang City
Some of the words on this site are kind of vulgar, but you can find a lot of useful slang if you look under "movies" and "music."

English Phrasal Verbs
One of the students whom I tutor privately has been using this website to study phrasal verbs. She finds it very comprehensive, so I thought I would share it with all of you.

Have a wonderful weekend!

3 comments:

yoko said...

Thank you Tara. Phrasal Verbs site is useful to me, so as Urban dictionary.

sandra said...

Thanks Tara,
i was asking for that. I think will be really helpful!!

tarpey said...

I'm glad that you find the links useful!

Here's another link that you might enjoy:

http://www.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php

You can select the type of voice and language, then type something in the box and click "speak." Then, you'll hear the voice say what you wrote. It might be helpful if you come across a word that you're not sure how to pronounce, or just for listening practice.