Tuesday, March 13, 2007

NYC welcomes hungry birds from Africa

Yes, being an au pair can be very amusing from time to time...I truly hate when kids play with food and waste it. The youngest boy I take care of often has gold fish for snack when I pick him up from school in the afternoon. A few times I saw him throwing gold fish in the air and trying to catch it in his mouth. Naturally, this 7-year-old guy is not as good at this activity as he would like to be, so his snack tends to fall to the ground. I can't really stand such situations and I said to him: 'Oh, come on! The kids in Africa don't even know that there's something like gold fish. They are starving and you are wasting your food. Shame on you, Mikey!' I don't think I exaggerated; I just wanted him to understand something. Yesterday, we were waiting for a bus and Mikey was eating gold fish (yup, again!) in the meantime. Suddenly, he dropped a couple (he said it was by accident...yeah right!). My reaction was typical: 'Mikey, I told you something about wasting food. Don't you remember that?' He said: 'Yeah, I know, but birds from Africa can have it!' I found his reply hilarious:D I was standing in the street and laughing like crazy. Birds from Africa...Yeah, birds from Africa are also starving so they can fly to Manhattan and have the gold fish that Mikey dropped. OK, I know he's only 7 (almost 8), but still...

2 comments:

sandra said...

using Pilar word: that's Hilarious!!!!!

izzyfan73 said...

Ha ha ha :-P that's so funny sometimes what they can say... I agree with you, wasting food is something I hate. The other day, my host dad threw away a whole bag of chips because the kids didn't like them. I mean come on, I could have eaten that !!! At least here, they give the leftovers to the dogs... but that's another story I might tell you about soon, it can go really far and be pretty ridiculous sometimes...