Friday, March 9, 2007

Wait a minute Mr Postman!

Hi Everyone! I want to share with you a creepy story that happened to me few days ago. When I knew I was pregnant, I called a doctor that my sister in law recommended and went and visit him. He examined me and he also took a blood sample as to be analyze. Bye, bye, see you next time.
You may also know that when I came here in January I hired a visit insurance with a maternal plan (just in case), the thing is "just in case" was suddenly " a "fact", I was pregnant. Great news, so nice, so soon, so everything!!! Well, one week after I had gone to the doctor I received a call from the Dr's office saying that they have called my insurance and they've said that my plan doesn't cover maternity. How come? My husband and I, called the insurance office to ask what was going on and they told us that we are not covered because the "small letter" (that actually was bold and quite big) says that you are covered only if you get pregnant 30 days after the date you hire the service. Of course, it wasn't my case. Bad luck.
The worst is yet to come. One day, Pablo came home with a letter for me. At the beginning I was so excited, I never receive letters!! The excitement suddenly was gone, I read in the envelope "invoice included". Invoice? Which invoice? It was the laboratory! I received an invoice for $1,187.73!!! Can you believe that? That money for a blood test???!!! We called everyone, the doctor, the laboratory, the insurance!! No way, we have to pay!! The thing is that if I had known the price for the blood test, I would have buy a ticket to Argentina, go home, visit my family, my nephew who I don't know yet, and take and do whichever exam I need without paying anything!!! I cannot believe how expensive is the health care system in this country! I don't want you to get depressed on a Friday night, not even during spring break. The good thing is that I still have hope, I went today to a Hospital and talk to a woman that is going to help me with my case. If the lab gives me a waiver, I will share the good news with you, of course!!! Actually it's been a while without posting, so I decided to write something and this is what came up to my mind first, maybe because it's something that really matters me at this moment.
Have fun wherever you are, see you soon, Pilar.

NO GUTS, NO GLORY :P

6 comments:

izzyfan73 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
izzyfan73 said...

OhMyGod !!! are they sure there is no error somewhere ? what would someone EVER have to pay so much money for son little ??? Jeez, sometimes I realize that my country is sooooo good for health insurance and social security... you get refunded for almost everything ! (and some people abuse it, that's why it's in so much debt...). Yeah, America is a strange country... how much for pulling out a tooth ??

yoko said...

It's not fun like that. In US the medical and dental fees are extremely expensive compared to Japan, too.
I hope you can solve this situation talking with social workers or an administrator at the doctor's office (because it couldn't been covered by the health insurance, could you?).
Try and wait to see!! You can check contract you signed at the test, too.
Don't panic, calm down.
If you have to pay, ask installment payments (Medical office don't charge interests I think).

sandra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MAGDA said...

I understand it perfectly, Pilar:( It's better to die right away in the US than to get sick. At the beginning of January, I caught a terrible cold and nothing could help me. Although I was taking all those American medications for flu, it was getting worse and worse. I contacted my community counselor but she didn't help me (what a surprise!). Despite the fact that I'm insured while I'm in the USA, it turned out I am the one who should pay if I want to go to a doctor. Of course, I can call my insurance company and ask for reimbursement, however even if they are willing to give me the money back, there will be just a few dollars. What the heck is this? Are you kidding me?! I didn't go to any doctor because I couldn't afford that. I had paid for my insurance before I left Poland, but it means nothing in this country...I don't even want to think what would happen to me in America if I had an accident or something...

Sue said...

So, how did it go, Pilar? Were you able to get a waiver? I know how worried and frustrated you are. The best way to live in the US without being broke is to be healthy.

Emma, I heard taking out a tooth costs about $200. :)