Friday, February 23, 2007

"L'infinito" di Giacomo Leopardi

I found the translation of one of the most beautiful italian poems from Leopardi, a 19th century italian poet!! hope you enjoy it!!

The Infinite
(trans. Alan Marshfield)

Dear always to me this deserted hill
And this hedgerow, which from so large a part
Of the extreme horizon bars the view.
Seated and gazing, interminable spaces
Beyond that place, and silences which are
Deeper than human, and quiet most profound
In thought I fashion me, where for a while
The heart is not alarmed. And as the wind
I hear commingle with these leaves, I that
Infinite silence to this voice go on
Comparing: thus reclaim I the eternal,
And seasons which are dead, and that one which
Is here and living, and the sound she makes.
In this immensity my thoughts are drowned:
And sweet to me is shipwreck in this sea.

4 comments:

MAGDA said...

I can say only one thing: this is beautiful!

yoko said...

You are so romantic and artistic if you like this poem.
I'm wondering how sensitive artists to see the events and how delicate the tools they handle.( I mean artists in general). They can see that I cannot see, they can hear that I cannot hear, such as....

izzyfan73 said...

very nice indeed. I had learned a poem by Leopardi in high school (but don't remember which), and I must say, sometimes some stuff can be "lost in translation" or sound a bit odd once translated, but poetry in english sounds as good as in italian !

Sue said...

I'd also like to know the original version of this poem. It would be much better if someone from Italy (maybe you!) could actully read it. I love the rhythmical sound of Italian language.